Monday, June 25, 2012

The International Sweethearts Of Rhythm



Videographer Jonathan Jindra and I have been working on the first draft of what will be a promotional video for my Women In Jazz book project. The video will be around a minute and a half, and feature excerpts of music by some of the interviewees, including Brandee Younger, Pamela York, and Jane Ira Bloom. I'll post the video once it's ready to share with the world.

I am reading a fascinating essay by pianist Marian McPartland about the all-woman, sixteen piece band The International Sweethearts Of Rhythm, who formed in 1938 and were quite popular throughout the war years. The essay is from McPartland's book All In Good Time. Thought I'd share the video above of the Sweethearts which features some great ensemble playing and solos.

More updates to come. Thank you everyone for supporting this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment