Thursday, November 21, 2013

November update

Whoa, it's been awhile since I've updated this blog. The main thing I've been focusing on is crafting an extended introduction to "Women In Jazz" that will provide a kind of historical context for the interviews that follow. Writing the introduction has been fun, but definitely challenging, in part because I realized quickly that somehow, I'd have to provide a (very) brief history of jazz music in the U.S. I do plan to post excerpts of this introduction in progress on this blog.

I interviewed a wonderful singer and composer named Malika Zarra for the book. You can find her music on iTunes, Amazon.com, and Spotify. "Berber Taxi" is excellent. The track "Leela" is one of my favorites from that album. I spoke to Malika via Skype while she was in her homeland of Morocco, which was kind of exciting for me. My first Skype call to Africa!



Thank you for supporting this work-in-progress. I also post updates and fun content on the Women In Jazz Facebook page, so check that out and give the page a proverbial "like" if you are so inclined. Have a wonderful November everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment