Sunday, June 7, 2015

. . . and the copyediting continues . . .


Excerpt from my interview with saxophonist and composer Jane Ira Bloom from my forthcoming book, Freedom of Expression: Interviews With Women in Jazz
CB: How does the music you make now relate to jazz? What’s your connection to jazz music’s history?
JIB: Well, I think of it in the most primary way. I value the musical decision making that I make in the moment as a result of having studied and immersed myself in the Afro-American music tradition as well as many others.
But the thing that makes it so very intimately connected to some of the earliest players of that music is that I give value to what I think of musically in the moment. I give improvisation as much credence in my musical thought as the ideas that I write down, and that’s a very important difference. That really is the heart of it.
We can talk about rhythm, and melody, and all those things but at the heart of it is being an improviser. That’s the best answer I can give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment