Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Women In Jazz update for February

The Women In Jazz book project continues. I'm busy transcribing interviews that I've already conducted for the book and contacting a second round of musicians to see if they'd like to participate in the project. As I confirm interviewees, I'll update this blog and the Women In Jazz Facebook page.

This week I'll be interviewing New York City-based bassist and composer Iris Ornig (pictured left). Ornig's latest CD No Restrictions is a beautifully recorded program of original compositions and two covers (Bjork's "Venus as a Boy" and Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel") arranged for a quintet that includes Helen Sung (piano), Kurt Rosenwinkel (guitar), Mike Rodriguez (trumpet), and Marcus Gilmore (drums). The quintet's sound is a nice hybrid of electric and acoustic textures, and each member has a very distinctive sound. I look forward to talking to Ornig about this band, as well as what compelled her as a young musician to begin playing upright bass and explore the world of jazz music.

More news to come. And as always, thank you for supporting this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment